Friday, March 23, 2012

An ocean away....

I may be in Dublin, but my heart and mind are in Lewis County.

My brother CJ, the 21 year old beast of a guy, has been diagnosed with a cavernous angioma – a small bleed on his brain. Apparently he’s had it since birth, but it wasn’t bleeding, until this past weekend. It’s a slow bleed, and he doesn’t need surgery, because it’s quite small and the extra blood will just be reabsorbed by the body, according to the neurosurgeon. The problem is that it’s been making him sick and literally giving him killer headaches for the past week. He’s afraid to eat or drink, thinking he will just throw it up, and the only thing I guess he can take for the headaches is Motrin or Tylenol, or something over the counter, and once it wears off, the excruciating pain wakes him out of a dead sleep. He’s been in and out of the emergency room several times this week because of the nausea and the pain, but there’s not much they can do. As of now, he's been admitted into the local hospital for dehydration, and they're planning on keeping him over night to help manage the vomiting and pain. It’s scary, no bones about it. What's even scarier, is there’s not a darn thing anyone can do about it.

It’s been tough for him and my mom, since she’s been taking care of him around the clock since Sunday. It’s been tough for all of us. I feel awful that I can’t be there to help; my dad, lord knows I love him dearly, doesn’t really handle these situations the best, and just ends up angry; and our younger brother Logan, well, he’s in senior mode and freaking out about college scholarships. Luckily family (blood and chosen) is close by, and my aunts, family friends, and grandma have deployed to help my mom out. I only wish I could do more than lend an ear. Its times like this that I wish I weren't an ocean away from my family.

I’m not a terribly spiritual person, but please, keep my brother in your thoughts and prayers while he is on the mend.

Here's a picture of me and CJ rocking the photo booth at my wedding in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment