Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thinking happy thoughts


Yesterday I got one of the most unnerving messages from my mom - "Call me when you get this Trevor had a swimming accident."

First of all, it should be illegal to text someone a message like that because immediately you think the worst. Luckily, I was able to call my mom and get the details that he was ok and in the hospital.


My strapping young cousin of the ripe age of 19 was swimming at a friends house and dove into the pool. Bad plan.When he dove in he hit his head, ultimately breaking his neck. Yeh, he broke his neck at C-5. Sweet Jesus.

I guess he had been walking around for a couple days saying he had a stiff neck, finally my aunt took him to our cousin the chiropractor to get him straightened out, when they realized it was a whole lot more than a stiff neck. They immediately went to the local hospital where they x-rayed him and realized the severity of the injury. The doctors in Carthage were sending T-man to Syracuse where they would decide whether he needed surgery, a neck brace, or to be in a halo for a few months.

Well, the kid lucked out. I got a call from my mom this morning who was there were her sister, and she said Trevor had an MRI last night and the doctors were still debating between surgery and a neck brace. As it turns out he was discharged from Syracuse a few hours ago with just a neck brace that he has to wear for three months. I cannot believe how lucky he is, and we are that he is ok.

So, if you learn anything from this it should be: be careful this summer and don't dive into pools or any body of water for that matter. And, don't TEXT immediate family or friends with a cryptic message with bad news. Seriously though, messages like that take years off of my life (hint, hint Mom). Not cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment